Thursday, March 22, 2012

I'm a graduate!

Today was my portfolio show and official last day of college. We all arrived at Belvedere Events and Banquets in Elk Grove Village this morning at 8:30 am. We had to be there bright and early to start setting up our tables. After all of our tables had been set up they fed us a continental breakfast. At 11:00 am was when the employers and different companies started coming in. A few people here and there would stop by our table, look at our work and we would talk to them. It was very successful I thought! I gave away alot of business cards and resumes. There weren't nearly as many business as there was family and friends though. As soon as 2:00 pm hit and they opened the doors for friends and family there was a stampede of people poring through the doors. Gobs of people everywhere, it was so crowded I couldn't believe how many people there were! We had about 1-2 people per hour with the business. It was just pretty slow honestly. So when the friends and family came it was like five or six people all crowded around one table trying to take business cards and resumes and look at the work. It was insane! There was no way everyone even had time to look at all the tables before 3:00 pm. At 3:00 pm it was still crowded as heck and they had to make an announcement asking everyone to start exiting so we could clean up. After all that preparation for this show the entire quarter it sure was over in a hurry. Everyone loved my work though, I got alot of positive feedback and maybe a few possible job interviews.
It's a weird feeling to think I've spent nearly my entire life in some kind of school and now I'm just suddenly done. Even if I spend more of my time working that doesn't necessarily mean I'll have homework. So I'll still have way more free time then I ever did before. I'm going to start looking for a full time job now but in the meantime I'm still at the theater. I'm also going to stay with Hank and help him out once in a while and do occasional photo shoots with him. He said if I come help him out a little bit maybe we can start getting me some money. I know his company isn't very big and I don't think he can afford a real employee. However, a little money here and there along with the experience will be good for me.
I couldn't be more happy today! I don't have to work tonight so I'm going to stay out real late, hang out with my friends and celebrate.






















1 comment: