Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I Got It!

I got an internship!
Thanks to Barb Paul's who is the owner of Mid America where my mom works I now have an internship. My mom had asked her if she might know of any photography places. Barb mentioned there possibly being a photo place in the office buildings in Bloomingdale. This same building is were Kristi and I used to go for our orthodontist Dr. Katsis. Barb's kids had also gone there for Dr. Katsis and that's how she remembered it.
So my mom ended up driving by there and saw 'Just Picture It' on the sign. I ended up checking out the website and emailing the owner Hank Steermann. He told me to call him on Tuesday (Today) which I did and the phone call went great. He said he was willing to help me but wanted to make sure I got the experience I needed. So after talking on the phone for a while he said why dont you come in so we can meet. I said "great! I'm free all day" so I ended up skipping my internship class and driving over there from school and meeting with him. He has a small intimate studio space in some office buildings right in Bloomingdale. This building is literally about three minutes from my house, its brilliant how close it is! I wont have to waste any gas.
I didn't think I'd be there as long as I was but we talked for a long time. He's very friendly and showed me around his studio as well. He also looked at my portfolio and loved my images. He does portraiture, senior portraits, some weddings, corprate events and business portraits. He does a little bit of everything in the portraiture world. Everything he does is right up my alley, exactly what I want to be doing.
He works by himself there and said I could probably shadow him or help him out with some of his shoots. He also wants this to be a benefit to me so he said maybe we could schedule some shoots just for me. I'll bring a friend to the studio and we'll just set up a photo shoot and take their picture. He especially liked my images of Chandra! I told him she was a great friend of mine and that she loves modeling for me. Her tall and skinny figure makes her very model esk. He said we should have her come into the studio sometime and maybe we could even help her create a portfolio since shes trying to get into modeling.
All the stuff he does is right around the area or in his studio. He shoots portraits at Mecham Grove Forest Preserve alot which is very close by.
I'm so excited I got this internship, Hank is wonderful! I'm going to be working on a set schedule with him starting Thursday from 11-4. I'll probably be working every Tuesday and Thursday since those are the days I do not have class. Maybe a weekend day or two, whenever he wants me there I'll be there. This internship is going to take priority over anything right now because I just need to graduate!
Come get your picture taken! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment